The longer I live in Small Town (we've been here a little over three years), the more I realize how great it is. Here are a few reasons why:
1. We are within walking distance to just about everything in town: the library, the post office, friends' houses, the movie theater, the school, restaurants, the gym (if we are feeling extra motivated, which we never are. But we could definitely walk there if we had to).
2. People clean up after their dogs while walking them. I looked out the window this morning and saw the man from the end of the block in our yard with his dogs, and cleaning up after them! It's so nice being able to have the boys playing outside in the yard without having to worry about what they are going to bring back inside with them.
3. People out walking will stop to say hello or chit chat, even if they don't know you. Especially if Owen is outside. He can get even the sternest people to stop and have a conversation with him. There is one woman, who lives two doors down, who walks around our block several times a day with her dog. Usually she is a woman on a mission, staring forward, rarely making eye contact, let alone saying hello. But one day, Owen was outside while she was out walking and was able to get her to stop and talk with him. Of course he also kept yelling "Hi!" until she finally turned around to say hello in return, but he did it.
4. Even the garbage men are awesome. The woman across the road from us is well in her 80s (although you would never think it if you met her), and this morning, the garbage truck actually backed into her driveway and picked up her garbage from the porch because she hadn't brought it to the curb yet! I have also seen them do this for the couple who live across the other street, (we live on the corner of two intersecting streets).
5. Freebies! The above-mentioned woman across the street gives the boys special Halloween goodies every year. (She doesn't hand out candy on Halloween). Other neighbors have brought us cucumbers, apples, and squash.