Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Butternut Squash Waffles

Hey, don't knock 'em until you've tried them!

Owen wanted waffles for dinner one night, and I had just baked a butternut squash to make muffins with. Knowing that I would have plenty to go around, I decided to use some of the squash in place of sweet potatoes in a waffle recipe that I have. (I have yet to try it with sweet potatoes. You can find the original recipe here). I didn't tell Owen what was in the waffles until after he finished TWO of them, (both he and Ben wanted seconds), to which he said, "Mmmmm. I LIKE squash!" Success!

Butternut Squash Waffles



2 cups biscuit/baking mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1 1/3 cups milk
1 cup cooked, mashed butternut squash
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, brown sugar, and spices. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, squash, oil, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.

Bake in preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with syrup.


Note: The original recipe called for a nut topping which I eliminated because of allergies. 
 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...