As we all know, today is St. Patrick's Day, but it is also Daddio's birthday (who coincidentally, happens to be part Irish). So in honor of that, today's post is All About Daddio, who is currently out of town taking the boys for an overnight at an indoor water park. Never in my wildest dreams would I attempt to take all three boys to something like that by myself! He's a brave man.
1. Okay, so that's not really Daddio, as if you actually believed it was. But he has often been told that he bears a striking resemblance to Matt Damon (usually by family members). Here's the real Daddio:
2. Daddio is a middle child. He has an older sister and a younger brother.
3. He was born in New York and sported a very stylish haircut as he was growing up.
|I have not been authorized to release this photo. :-)|
4. He has an odd fascination with Superman. I'm okay with it, but when he ordered personal checks with the Superman design, I did start to question his maturity level. I would not be surprised to learn that a similar experience to this happened to him as a child. Unfortunately, as far I know, it did not. However, if he does anything like this in the near future, then I will seriously start to question his sanity.
5. The majority of the television shows that I have watched religiously were recommended to me by Daddio. He has a knack for picking out the good ones. I credit Daddio for starting my LOST obsession (I didn't watch the pilot episode, and only did so the following week at Daddio's urgence). He's also the reason I started watching How I Met Your Mother, Sons of Anarachy, Rescue Me, and American Pickers.
6. However, he used to watch Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 90210 (I, on the other hand, have not watched a single episode of either show) . He will probably attribute this to the influence of his older sister, although she is never around any time he claims that "they were good shows". (I have not been authorized to release this sensitive information).
7. Daddio has a weakness for sweets. Specifically Mallow Cups (which we can only find at the drug store) and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
8. He also loses all willpower when passing the baked goods section of the grocery store. The smell of freshly baked bread is his kryptonite. It is not uncommon to receive a phone call while he is grocery shopping and have him request pasta for dinner so he can have garlic bread as well.
9. He plays rugby. Or at least he did in college. And will probably claim that all of his bad decisions in college can be credited to him playing rugby. I don't doubt that. We met at that time, so I'm very familiar with the lifestyle of college rugby players and it's the main reason I tell Owen that he cannot play rugby in college. :-)
No, that's actually Matt Damon. In a soccer uniform nonetheless. Let's try this again.
Yeah, okay. That's still Matt Damon, in the movie Invictus. But at least he was wearing a rugby uniform that time! We're getting closer. Here's the real Daddio in his rugby gear:
10. Daddio graduated (with the help of yours truly) with a degree in criminal justice. He now works for the U.S. Border Patrol (not to be confused with Customs). He became a supervisor at his station last summer.
11. As much as I hate doing things outside, Daddio loves it. He fishes, he hikes, he camps. He does it all. Except hunting. He has not gone hunting, yet. I believe it's on his "Things To Do" list. And since he doesn't mind doing things outside, it should come as no surprise that ...
12. He doesn't mind playing in the snow with the boys. In fact, he's a million times better at it than I am. Want proof? Just take a look at the awesome cave he built with Owen.
|Ben can stand up in here.|
13. Daddio's favorite color is blue.
14. He is also a neat freak. He can't stand to see any of the boys' toys hanging around downstairs. Nor can he stand the way that I leave things all over the house for days. We're really quite the opposite in that regard.
15. Daddio claims to be a great cook and that he can cook anything. If by anything he means spaghetti, and hamburgers and steak on the grill, then I would have to agree with him. I'm still waiting to see what other great culinary wonders he can delight us with.
16. As all members of law enforcement should do, Daddio likes to work out. Two hours a day. Every day. Well, when he can get to the gym. He has also been known to push himself pretty hard at the gym, and unfortunately, it came back to bite him last September. He was lifting weights and ended up ripping a tendon in his left arm. He had to have surgery on it and was on light work duty for several weeks. He also had to wear a soft? cast and sling on his left arm the whole time (or at least he was supposed to).
17. Daddio is left-handed. Although he can do some things with his right hand when the need arises. Like it did back in September.
18. He may like sweets, but he hates cheesecake and Dr. Pepper. Diet Pepsi is his drink of choice. Or rather beer is, but he can't drink that all the time. Well, actually, I suppose he could, if he really wanted to, but...
19. Daddio is attached to his smart phone. (Is that what they are called? He has a Droid. Obviously, I don't). He is always on that darn thing. While he's watching television. While he's giving the boys a bath. While he's out having a few drinks with his uncle. He even takes it into the bathroom with him! They should have a special episode of Intervention for cell phone users. Fortunately, he knows better than to have it around while we are eating dinner.
20. Daddio's middle name is Ryan. Matt Damon played Pvt. James Francis Ryan in Saving Private Ryan.
Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!