Thursday, July 1, 2010

Designer Diapers?


I recently came across an article on the web about some new designer diapers that Pampers is going to start selling. Apparently Cynthia Rowley, (yes, THAT Cynthia Rowley) has created 11 different designs, including these:

I wonder how much they paid her?

I think it's probably safe to assume that these are Pampers' (classier) version of Huggies' new denim diaper design:



I had some mixed reactions while reading this article. First, how on earth has it taken these companies this long to come up with a diaper design other than the usual cartoon characters? This seems like such a simple marketing concept that should have been done years ago! This is brilliant! Cha-ching! Pampers is going to make a fortune from this!

Or are they?

I then started wondering if people would actually BUY these diapers, or just admire them from afar. I certainly have no plans to buy them, for several reasons. The most important reason is the cost. These diapers cost a whopping $15.99 for a package of 24! I do not have that kind of money to waste on designer diapers. My second reason? I am a Huggies mommy through and through. I am not, and never have been, a fan of Pampers diapers. I don't like how flimsy they feel or how they fit a baby. (I will not, however, turn down a package of free Pampers diapers from the hospital. When it comes to delivery-room freebies, I do not discriminate. Load me up!).

I also started wondering what purpose, or point, there is to these diapers. I mean, they're diapers. No one is going to see them, right? As adorable as they may look in the commercials, I really don't know of too many parents who actually allow their babies to run toddle around in just their diapers. Are these supposed to be in place of pants? Start putting designer diapers on your baby and they don't have to wear pants anymore? (After all, it really IS annoying to have to keep unbuttoning or taking off pants each time you change a diaper).

They are cute and everything, and they seem like a good idea, from a marketing aspect that is. I just don't know if I get how practical they are. I imagine that the only people who would possibly consider buying these are most likely made of money and have enough to spend willy nilly on impractical items.

For the rest of us living in the real world, might I suggest the following alternatives:

 
                    Lil' Pixie Boutique                                       Swaddle in Cloth                          

                                                                    MamaSan Maternity

And for those of you who actually like the Huggies denim diapers:


I mean, if you're going to spend the money, you might as well spend it on something that is going to last longer than three hours, right?

4 comments:

  1. I know, i think it's soo dumb to spend extra on them! I loooove pampers, they are the only ones I use :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, who is Cynthia Rowley? Guess I have to go check the link.

    Second, I don't know anything about the cost of diapers, but $16 sounds like an awful lot. I mean, that's a pair of Ann Taylor Loft jeans on clearance with an additional 40% off. Just saying.

    Third, I think this is a ridiculous trend/scam. I like your suggestions. I like the idea of diaper covers, which seem less indecent than letting your babe run around sans pants. And I love those skulls. I think Benny Bugger would look great in skulls. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @OBG: Really? You don't know Cynthia Rowley? She's a designer. She's been a guest judge on Project Runway before. I would have assumed you would have known that. And that's just for 24 diapers! That would last maybe one week? (We pay about $20 for a large package of 80+).

    @Laura: First of all I have to say, you're my first non-family member follower! Yay! Thanks! I know of other people who swear by Pampers as well. Maybe I should give them another shot, but I'm afraid it's too late as I'm a devoted Huggies user!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha don't worry I'm not a creeper, well maybe a little bit blogstalker :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...