Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Sweet Citrus Chicken

I made this really simple chicken recipe for the first time for the boys a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised that Owen was so willing to try it. (I think it was because I told him that it had orange juice in it, a favorite beverage of his). After he tried it, he said, "Mmmmm. Yummy!" His approval automatically put it on my "make again" list.


Sweet Citrus Chicken

1-2/3 cups hot water
1 pkg. (6 oz.) stuffing mix 
6 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (1-1/2 lb.) pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 400. Add hot water to the stuffing mix; stir just until moistened. Set aside. Place chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish. Mix juice, sugar and butter until well blended; pour over chicken. Top with prepared stuffing. Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Yield: 6 servings


Note: I was a little disappointed that the chicken did not have a really strong citrus flavor throughout the whole thing. I could only taste it on the bottom where it came in direct contact with the juice in the pan while baking. The next time I make this, I plan to marinate the chicken in the orange juice mixture prior to baking. I may also try something different on top as I am not a huge fan of packaged stuffing mix; too salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...