Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Blueberry "Cowboy"

The boys and I were able to go blueberry picking recently, leaving me with a plethora of blueberries to bake with. In addition to some delectable muffins, I also baked a blueberry cobbler, or blueberry "cowboy" as Owen calls it. I came across the recipe on my favorite recipe site, Taste of Home, while looking for ideas as to what I could make with the berries. I had all of the ingredients on hand and it looked simple enough, so this recipe won out. Please be forewarned, that if you are on a diet, or in any way watching what you eat, this may not be the cobbler for you.


Blueberry "Cowboy"

If only mine looked this good!*
  
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided 
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
Whipped cream or whipped topping**

In a saucepan, combine the berries, lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Set aside. Place butter in a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; melt butter in a 350° oven.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining sugar with flour, baking powder, salt, milk and egg. Pour over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon reserved berry mixture over batter. Do not stir.***

Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream or whipped topping. Yield: about 10-12 servings.


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 231 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. 


*This photo is from the Taste of Home website. My camera battery died before I could get a picture of my own. 
**I did not use the whipped cream on mine.
***This sounds a little upside down/backward, but the blueberries actually sink and the crust part rises to the top. Another incentive for me to want to try out this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...